Home » Useful Information

Category Archives: Useful Information

Living in Rome


Useful links:
The “Azienda di Promozione Turistica del Comune di Roma”, via Parigi, 11 – next to Piazza della Repubblica – has free maps and tourist brochures.
You can buy at the newstands the weekly “Roma c’è”, or the Thursday section “Trovaroma” of the newspaper “La Repubblica”.
For general information click here



Useful link:



Useful links:
• http://www.study-in-italy.it/living/free-time.html
• http://www.romaturismo.it/v2/en/main.asp
• http://www.erasmus3.it/AttivitaEventi.htm
• http://www.uniroma3.it/page.php?page=sics




Useful link:

Banks are open from Monday to Friday from 8.30a.m. to 2 p.m.
In the afternoons the opening hours change from bank to bank between 2.45 and 3.45 p.m.
Outside most banks there is a cash dispenser.
For a temporary resident in Italy it may be complicated to open a bank account. If you plan to regularly receive money by bank draft from abroad, the simplest and cheapest way is to open a Libretto di Risparmio (savings account).
However, this will not provide cheque books which are given only if you open a current account (Conto Corrente Ordinario). You may be interested in knowing that Banca di Roma handles our University accounts.
Tell them you are a student at Roma Tre and show the following documents:

• your Residence Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) or proof of application;
• your Tax number (Codice Fiscale);
• your ID card/passport;
• proof of your registration to Roma Tre.

To transfer money from abroad via bank draft, give your Rome account number, the Bank code (for Banca di Roma: ABI 03002) and the appropriate CAB (Codice di Avviamento Bancario)
indicating to which branch office in Rome you want the money to be transferred.
Do not expect it to be a fast procedure.Any other bank you may choose would have a similar procedure.



For general information you can visit the web page:



Useful link:



Useful link:

Because of its central position in the Italian peninsula Rome enjoys a mild climate.
Winter temperatures are seldom as low as in the North and Summer temperatures are never as high as in the South. The hottest month is in July.
Normally you need jumpers plus a heavy parka/jacket and a raincoat in the Winter.
In the month of October, when central heating may not be on, it can be warmer outdoors than indoors.



Useful link:



Useful link:

The main Rome university library is the Biblioteca Alessandrina located on the campus of the “Sapienza” University.
It is open from Mondays to Fridays from 8.30 am. to 7.30 pm.; Saturdays from 8.30 am. to 1.30 pm.
Access is open to anyone with an ID card/passport. It may be useful to get a library card (Tessera) which gives you access to more services, such as special collections, etc.
The Tessera is obtainable from the Ufficio Orientamento.
To be allowed to take out books, you need a special form called “malleveria” available at the library Ufficio Prestiti.
The form must be signed by your academic co-ordinator, printed by your Faculty Secretariat and returned to the library.
Libraries are attached to individual Faculties and Departments at Roma Tre.
You will find the National Library (Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale Vittorio Emanuele) close to Termini Railway station.
It is the largest Public Library in Rome and one of the two largest in Italy. It is located on Viale Castro Pretorio 105, open from Mondays to Fridays from 8.30 am. to 7.00pm., Saturdays from 8.30 am. to 1.30 pm.
The book lending service, however, has many restrictions. For access and a library card “Tessera” (obtainable from the Ufficio Orientamento) follow the same procedure as for the Biblioteca Alessandrina.
You may want to use other research libraries or specialised academic institutions (see enclosed list).
In some cases it is necessary to show a letter of recommendation from your home academic co-ordinator detailing your research project.


Useful link:

University Cafeterias

University canteens
university canteens provide nutritious and very low cost meals. It is much cheaper to eat there than to prepare a meal at home. Canteens are popular gathering places for Erasmus and Italian students alike. University canteens are subsidised and are run by ADISU, Azienda Regionale per il Diritto allo Studio Universitario, which handles student services.
For further information about canteens and costs please visit the following link:

Roma Tre canteens are located in:
• Via Vasca Navale, 79
• Via Libetta 18 , “45 giri”
University canteens are open from Monday to Saturday, from January to July. They are closed Saturday nights and holidays. Working hours: lunch from 12 a.m. to 3 p.m.; They are most crowded between 1pm and 2pm.


Canteen card (tessera mensa)
When you have the tax number go to ADISU Via della Vasca Navale 79, room 17 (Linea B Marconi stop), tel. 06/55340729/40 during these opening hours:
From Monday to Friday 9.00 -12.30
Remember to bring with you Erasmus certificate and codice fiscale.
For further information about canteens and costs please visit the following link:

Students who attend courses at all other Faculties can go to the canteens in the S. Paolo area. A University Canteen Card is issued by the Roma Tre ADISU Office.
GO to register to Roma Tre ADISU Office, Via della Vasca Navale 79 -room number 17 (Linea B Marconi stop); open from Mondays to Fridays, 9,00 am-13,00 pm
Bring with you:
your Tax Number (Codice Fiscale)
your Roma Tre Erasmus Certificate


What to Do upon Arrival and before Leaving Rome

What to do upon your arrival and before leaving Rome:
Come to our Office (Ufficio Programmi europei per la Mobilità Studentesca) in via Ostiense 149 to register:
REGISTRATION Academic Year 2016-2017
During the first weeks of September and the first weeks of October for the first semester, and during the last week of January and the first week of February for the second semester we will register the Erasmus incoming students.

Our office will inform you by email about the exact appointment (day and hour) you will be registered.
Contact: incoming.students@uniroma3.it  and will be welcomed for the registration according to this schedule.

You should bring with you:
– proof of your Erasmus status stating the area of study and the length of your stay;
– your ID card or passport;

At the Ufficio Programmi europei per la Mobilità Studentesca you will receive a certificate stating your Erasmus status at Roma Tre, you will also obtain a User Id and Password to get access to the Student Portal
On the Student Portal you will constantly be able  to view your academic career, to enroll for the exams and to print certificates such as the “statino” (necessary document to bring the day of the exam) transcript of records.


As to define your learning agreement for studies, you should check the Course Catalogue of University of Roma Tre available in Italian and in English on the Student Portal: https://uniroma3.esse3.cineca.it/Guide/Home.do?menu_opened_cod=navbox_didattica_Didattica
You should contact your subject area Coordinator within the first two weeks arriving in Rome. He/she will advise you on what courses to take and will sign the Learning agreement.
After attending the whole course you should ask your teacher to register your final exam results (Esami sostenuti).
After you have taken each exam, you should make sure to go to your teacher and register it.

Before leaving Rome 

Come to our Office (please respect the opening hours) to obtain a “Certificate of attendance”, certifying your period of study at Roma Tre.
Where to get the Transcript of records 
You can get the transcript of records from the “Pagina personale studenti” (Student Portal), (http://portalestudente.uniroma3.it/index.php?p=accedi “Accedi ai servizi on-line” with User Id and password.
Erasmus students are required to bring a Transcript of Records to their own university.
Therefore, after you have taken your exam, go to your Erasmus Coordinator and make sure you register it and constantly check your academic career visiting the Student Portal.
What to do if there is some mistake in the transcript of records:
In case of missing exams wrong grades, date or credits, send an email to incoming.students@uniroma3.it and to the Student Office of your Faculty in copy (wait at least 30 days from the date of the exam)

1) Name and family name;
2) Registration number (matricola);
3) Faculty;
4) Name, date and grade of missing/wrong exam/s

E-mail address of Segreteria Studenti (Faculty Student Offices)

Things to do after coming to our Office:
1) register at the City Hall of your residence district in Rome (Iscrizione Anagrafica):
2) Tax number (codice fiscale)
The tax number is important if you want the canteen card and if you want to open a bank account.
You can find the various offices ( “Agenzia entrate”), where you can obtain your tax number, at the following website: http://www1.agenziaentrate.it/indirizzi/agenzia/uffici_locali/lista.htm?m=2&pr=RM

The closest offices are the following:
– in Via Ippolito Nievo 36- 00153 Ph. 06 583191; e-mail: ul.roma1@agenziaentrate.it (Trastevere – Linea B Piramide stop and then take the tram n° 3 during these opening hours: Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 9.00 to 13.00 and
– in Via Canton 20- 00144 Ph.06/526061; e-mail : dp.iiroma.utroma6@agenziaentrate.it ,where you can go during these opening hours: Monday and Friday from 8:45 to 12:45; and on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday also from 14:15 to 15:35.

What to do before coming to Rome

– for students arriving in the first semester from the 1st of March to the 15th of June
– for students arriving in the second semester from the 1st of September to the 15th of November


Print it and send the scanned copy duly signed to our Office by email to incoming.students@uniroma3.it.
Make sure that your Institution sends to incoming.students@uniroma3.it the official nomination.
Only when we have received the selected names from your University, you will receive the confirmation of your application form by e-mail.
Contact person: Laura Mocenigo Tel. +39.06.57332329; e-mail: incoming.students@uniroma3.it.


Send it to CTS: e-mail: erasmus@cts.it
Tel.: +39 06 64960339
Fax: +39 06 64960366
visiting address: Via Albalonga, 3 – 00183 Roma

CLICK HERE to download the form.
please, pay attention: only CTS is our official accommodation service.

On-line enrolment at the Language Centre web site:


Please, respect the deadlines for each course.
CLA visiting address:
Via Ostiense 131/L
00154 – Roma
presso il Centro Direzionale Argonauta (corpo C, 7° piano)
ascensori C e C1


Book an appointment with our Office at the web page: http://europa.uniroma3.it/dotnet/ricevimento/default.aspx .
Please note that the opening hours are: Monday from 14.00 to 16.30 and Thursday from 10.00 to 13.00.
If possible, avoid arriving in Rome during the weekend when the University is closed. If you have already organised accommodation be sure your landlord/landlady knows exactly when you arrive (date and time) so that he/she is expecting you.
At your arrival at University of Roma Tre to be registered as Erasmus students it is necessary to bring the follwoing documents:

  • the learning agreement approved and signed by the Erasmus Coordinator of your Home Institution;
  • proof of your Erasmus status indicating the length of your stay;
  • your ID card or passport;
  • medical insurance (before departing for Italy check whether there is any agreement with Italy for free health services);
  • International Student Card to prove  your eligibility for student discounts.

Visa and Residence permit



EU citizens may enter Italy with a passport or ID card and are entitled to stay for study or work as long as like. You are however required to register with the Questura (police station) in order to obtain residence and therefore you should ensure that you have all the documents requested for this procedure before you leave your home country.

Non EU Citizens are required to apply for a study visa prior to leaving. Applications should be made at your nearest Italian Embassy or Consulate. Always start these procedures well in advance of your planned visit to Italy. These procedures are subject to change so it is worthwhile telephoning the embassy or checking the website for information before going personally to the visa office.

EU citizens may reside in Italy for three months without a Residence Permit (Permesso di Soggiorno) from the Italian Police, but they have to register at the Police Station (Dichiarazione di Presenza).
If you are staying in Rome for longer than three consecutive months, you have to register at the City Hall of your residence district in Rome (Iscrizione Anagrafica).


Non EU citizens are required to apply for a residence permit within 8 working days since their arrival in Italy. Applications can be submitted to Italian Post Offices (Sportello Amico), Patronages and Municipalities.


For more information about visa and residence permit you can visit the following Internet sites:

• http://www.esteri.it/MAE/IT/Ministero/Servizi/Sportello_Info/DomandeFrequenti/Visto_per_Italia/

Degrees & Credits

The Italian academic system is divided into two degree programs. These two programs take on a primary role:


  • Three year DEGREE curriculum has the objective of providing students with a good basic background and specific professional knowledge.


  • Two year graduate ADVANCED DEGREE curriculum can be undertaken after obtaining a degree and has the objective of providing students with graduate education for highly qualified positions in specific areas.


Furthermore, the so called CFU (UNIVERSITY CREDITS) correspond to the total number of

hours of study of each student (hours of individual study, lessons, laboratory, practice

sessions). Therefore, a “value” is given to the student’s time: each credit corresponds to 25 hours

of work.